Pistol Permit Requirements
- You MUST be a bona fide permanent resident of the Town of Monroe to be eligible to apply in Monroe. Non-resident property/business owners are not eligible.
- You must be 2l years old at the time you submit your application.
- You must be legally in the United States.
- You must complete an introductory pistol and revolver safety course. (NRA certificate or DESPP-approved equivalent)
Obtaining a Temporary Permit is the First Step in Obtaining a State of CT Permit. The Monroe Chief of Police will issue a 60-day temporary pistol permit after a background check is completed and you meet all requirements. You then must convert the temporary pistol permit to the State of CT Permit with the Connecticut State Police.
Steps for a Temporary Pistol Permit
The State of Connecticut has implemented a Mandatory Online Pre-Enrollment procedure for fingerprint criminal history checks through the Connecticut Criminal History Request System (CCHRS) in which you must submit your information and pay the State and Federal fees online and then receive an Applicant Tracking Number (ATN). Please follow the following Steps to be fingerprinted.
Step 1: Pre-Enroll with the State of Connecticut Criminal History Request System using this service code: 26F3-562D
When pre-enrolling make sure you see the final confirmation page and then print out the PreEnrollment email with your applicant tracking number. (see below)
Step 2: Make sure you have the following items ready and complete:
- Fully Completed and Notarized Pistol Permit Application - (click here for the application)
- Printout of the PreEnrollment Email (See Above) with your Applicant Tracking Number.
- Original and (1) one copy of your basic pistol permit course certificate (NRA or DESPP-approved equivalent)
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or legal status: Original and (1) one copy of either your US Passport, US Birth Certificate with raised seal, or US Permanent Resident Card – prior military needs to bring a copy of their DD-214.
- A certified check or money order in the amount of $70.00 made out to the Town of Monroe.
- Print and sign the attached Privacy Rights forms - Click Here for Privacy Act Form
- Passport-style photo, 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches
- A voluntary questionnaire, Click Here for Questionnaire
Step 3: Make a Fingerprint Appointment with the Monroe Police Department
Public fingerprinting is scheduled for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 6:00–8:00 PM and Saturday from 10:00 AM- 12:00 PM. Once you have completed Steps 1 and 2 you are now ready to schedule an appointment.
We book appointments one hour before our scheduled fingerprint times. To book an appointment call 203-261-3622 one hour before, the day you want to be fingerprinted. (Example: for a Saturday appointment call beginning at 9 am to book an appointment for the scheduled times 10:00 am through 12 pm). Your appointment should last approximately 15 minutes.
Step 4: After receiving the 60-day temporary pistol permit from Monroe, now you are able to make an appointment with the CT State Police for your State of CT Pistol Permit, Click Here for Instructions
Chief Keith White
Monroe Police Department
7 Fan Hill Road
Monroe, CT 06468