Duties per Town Charter (Chapter II)
The legislative power in the Town shall be vested in a Town Council consisting of nine members, elected at large, hereinafter referred to as the "Council." The members of the Council shall serve without compensation, except for the reimbursement of actual expenses incurred in the performance of official duties. No member of the Council shall hold any appointed office of profit under the government of the Town of Monroe or be appointed to any office of profit under the government of said Town during the term of office and for one year thereafter.
The Council shall have the powers and duties which, on the effective date of this Charter, were conferred by law upon officers, boards and commissions of said Town existing immediately prior to such date, except as otherwise specifically provided in this Charter. The legislative power of the Town shall be vested in the Council, except as limited or otherwise provided in this Charter. The Council's powers shall include but not necessarily be limited to the following powers, to the extent that the same are not limited or otherwise inconsistent with this Charter:
- The power to enact, amend or repeal ordinances.
- The power to create or abolish by ordinance boards, commissions, departments and offices of the Town.
- The power to accept roads.
- The power to approve and authorize contracts to which the Town is a party or in which the Town has an interest.
Above is an excerpt from the Town Charter. Click here to review the complete Town Charter.
Town Council Members (Term: November 28, 2023 - November 23, 2025)
- Jonathan Formichella, Chairperson
- Enid Lipeles, Vice-Chairperson
- Vincent Duva
- Cathy Kohut
- Jason Maur
- Sean O'Rourke
- Janice Persico
- Kevin Reid
- Dona-Lyn Wales