The mission of the department is to enhance the quality of life for residents of the Town of Monroe through the safe, responsive, efficient and effective delivery of services to every neighborhood.
The Department of Public Works (DPW) includes the Building Maintenance & Highway divisions. This budget also proposes the migration of the engineering function into the DPW administration.
- Building Maintenance ‐ this division provides general and contracted maintenance of 20 public facilities including the Town Hall, Police Department, Library, Senior Center, Fire Houses and Highway Garage. In total, the building maintenance division is responsible for 236,911 square feet of building and 11 emergency generators with 1 full‐time Building Maintainer and 1 full‐time custodian.
- Highway ‐ this division performs all of the maintenance and construction work within the Town owned right‐of‐way over the 143 miles of road, 5 miles of which are dirt roads. These functions include road reconstruction, excavation, paving, pothole patching, curbing, topsoil & seed, drainage pipe, drainage structure installation, traffic sign installation, street sign installation, roadside trimming, roadside mowing, litter cleanup, street sweeping, tree removal, tree trimming, snow plowing, sanding, dirt‐road grading, dust control, and guiderail maintenance. Highway also participates in the annual bulky waste pickup and collection of waste motor oil.
- Engineering – provides design and project development/coordination, and technical support and services to the various local boards and commissions, the Town administration, other Town departments, applicants and/or their representatives, and the general public, in addition to coordination with the State Department of Environmental Protection, State Department of Transportation, Metropolitan Council of Governments, utility companies, and other applicable agencies and/or organizations.
- Pepper Street Improvements & Multi-Use Trail
- Submit a Service Request
- Battery Recycling
- Bulky Waste Pickup Program
- Household Hazardous Waste Collection
- Household Hazardous Waste Vendors List
- List of Permitted Residential Refuse Haulers 2023
- Paint Disposal
- Road Kill
- Rules for Disposal at Spring Hill Road & Garder Road
- Textiles Recycling Information
Office Operations Coordinator
Phone: (203) 452-2814